2012 NYC Food Film Festival Rules of Entry and Application
UPDATE: May 18, 7:45 pm – We are aware of the current Vimeo upload issues. If you are trying to submit your film before tonight’s deadline, please complete the entire submission process by midnight tonight. If you do not yet have a Vimeo URL and password for your film, simply type “Vimeo” in the URL field of the submission form and submit the form. When the film upload to Vimeo is finally completed, please send an email to submissions [at] nycfoodfilmfestival [dot] com. Be sure to include the film’s URL, Password and Director. Thank you for taking part in the 2012 NYC Food Film Festival.
**PLEASE READ EVERYTHING BELOW VERY CAREFULLY**
How to Enter
- - Each entry must be submitted as a password protected file on vimeo.com. Language must be in English, or with English subtitles.
- - Each entry must be accompanied by a completed entry form and an entry fee paid via Paypal.
- - You must be able to provide the Festival with a digital version of your film if accepted. All films will be screened in High Definition from a hard drive with a DVD master serving as a backup.
- - There is no limit to the number of films you may enter.
- - Submissions that have been rejected in previous years by the Festival Selection Committee are not eligible.
- - There is no restriction on the date your film was completed (unless it is so out of date that the subject is irrelevant).
- - ALL GENRES are eligible for entry (documentary, animation, narrative, instructional, food porn…) from any corner of the globe.
- - Your entry must also be a FINAL VERSION. No works-in-progress will be accepted.
- - If your film is selected, you must be able to provide the NYC Food Film Festival with up to (but not limited to) 3 excellent production stills to be distributed to the press and for use on the Festival website. It probably goes without saying, but the best stills get the best exposure. If your film has a link to a trailer online let us know on the application.
The selection of films is made by the Festival Selection Committee. Only films about food will be considered for the Festival. A one hour film with a 2 minute food scene should not be considered to be a food film. A bonus to your entry would be if your film contains a food or a cooking method that can be reproduced live as your film is being shown. We strive for authenticity at the NYC Food Film Festival and if your film is selected we may need your help in sourcing the food, chefs, and stars of your film for a screening.
- - If your film is chosen, you will be notified prior to July 15, 2012.
- - The term ‘food porn’ should not be taken literally. The Selection Committee is looking for films containing beauty shots of food set to appropriate music or other type of soundtrack. Any entry that contains actual pornography will not be accepted.
- - Films selected for the Festival are placed in the Official Food Film Festival Archive and may be used for promotional purposes.
- - Once your film has been selected it cannot be withdrawn from the NYC Food Film Festival 2012 program for any reason.
- - All selected films will be screened at the 6th Annual NYC Food Film Festival between October 18th and 21st in New York City.
- - Official selections for the 2012 NYC Food Film Festival may not exhibit publicly in New York City between Sept 1st, 2012 and the end of Festival week.
- -If your film is selected, it may not exist on the internet in its entirety until after the festival. If it does currently exist online, it must be removed prior to September 1st. A link to your film’s trailer is not required but encouraged.
The NYC Food Film Festival is a competitive film festival. Filmmakers compete in 7 categories for the prestigious ‘Slotted Spoon Award’. Spoons will be presented at an awards ceremony the final night of the Festival. Only one spoon per award will be presented. Duplicate spoons can be purchased for additional directors/producers named on your entry form. Please note: no more than three principals (e.g. one director and two producers) may jointly submit an entry.
Awards are presented in the following categories:
- - Best Feature
- - Best Short
- - Best Super-Short
- - Best Food Porn
- - Audience Award
- - Made In NY Award
- - Food Filmmaker of the Year
Official Deadline – May 4th, 2012
$35 for feature films (over 35 minutes)
$25 for shorts (5-35 minutes)
$20 for super-shorts (under 5 minutes)
Last Minute Deadline – May 18th, 2012
$45 for feature films (over 35 minutes)
$35 for shorts (5-35 minutes)
$30 for super-shorts (under 5 minutes)
- - Anyone that can prove their student status is entitled to a $5 discount in any category. To qualify, email us a scanned copy of a current school ID.
- - Entry fees are non-refundable.
Questions? To contact us click here.