THESE RULES for ENTRY
THE 2018 FOOD FILM FESTIVAL™
If you are a returning filmmaker, please take a moment to review as the rules have been altered and updated.
The 2018 Food Film Festival will take place October 25th - 28th
Regular Submission closes: May 5, 2018
Last Minute Submission (higher fees apply): May 6 - May 19, 2018
HOW TO ENTER
- Read the rules, submission, screening, deadlines and fees information detailed on this page very closely.
- If your film complies with the standards and regulations listed below, proceed to fill out a submission form via the link at the bottom of the page.
- Pay the submission fee appropriate to your submission (details listed below).
- NEW: As of the 2018 submission period, The Food Film Festival also accepts entries submitted via Withoutabox.com. There is a link to this option for entry at the bottom of the page.
- Once your form and fees have been submitted, your submission will be reviewed and you will be notified by the date listed below if your film has been selected.
RULES & RESTRICTIONS FOR ENTRY
- If submitting via the FFF online form (not withoutabox), Films must be submitted digitally as a password protected file on Vimeo.com. No exceptions.
- Films must be in English, or with English subtitles.
- Films must be complete, polished, final versions. (i.e. they are appropriately sound-mixed and color corrected, contain title cards, lower-thirds, and credits where appropriate)
- All films must have opening titles and end credits, without exception.
- Each film submitted must be accompanied by an entry fee paid via PayPal.com or via withoutabox. Further instruction on payment is provided after completing either application.
- There is no limit to the number of films you may submit.
- Submissions that have been rejected in previous years by the Festival Selection Committee are not eligible.
- There is no restriction on the date your film was completed (unless it is so out of date that the subject is irrelevant).
- It is not required that your film premiere at The Food Film Festival, however, please let us know if your film will be premering so we can celebrate that information with our guests.
- All genres are eligible for submission (documentary, animation, narrative, instructional, food porn, series, etc...) EXCLUDING films which depict sexual pornography or extreme violence.
- The term ‘food porn’ should not be taken literally. The Festival Selection Committee is looking for films containing beauty shots of food set to music or other type of soundtrack for this category. Any entry that contains actual sexual pornography will not be accepted.
- The selection of films is made by the Festival Selection Committee. Only films about food and depicting images of food will be considered for the Festival. For example, a one-hour film with a 2-minute food scene should not be considered to be a “food film”. Likewise, a film which discusses food, or a food-related industry, but does not actually show images of food would not qualify.
- All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision prior to or on July 31, 2018.
- If your film is selected:
- At the Food Film Festival the food from your film will be served to the audience during your screening. There is no option for NOT participating in this aspect of the festival, unless you are told otherwise by the festival production team.
- You will be expected to help in sourcing the food, chefs, and stars of your film for the event of your screening. Bringing your film to life by offering guests a Taste of What They See on the Screen is the primary goal of the Food Film Festival.
- You must be able to provide The Food Film Festival with the following:
- a high-res digital version of the film upon acceptance. All films will be screened in High Definition from a hard drive.
- (at least) 2 excellent still images from your film to be distributed to the press and for use on The Food Film Festival website. It probably goes without saying, but the best stills get the best exposure.
- a link to a trailer for your film on YouTube (if applicable). This allows us to feature your trailer on our YouTube channel and our website. Not necessary for entries under 3 minutes.
- The password protected Vimeo.com link you used to enter the film MUST remain active until after The Food Film Festival ends (October 28th, 2018). This link will be used for reference throughout production.
- Your film, if accepted, will be placed in the Official Food Film Festival Archive and may be used for promotional purposes.
- If selected, you may not withdraw your film from The Food Film Festival program for any reason. The Food Film Festival, however, reserves the right to remove your film from the screening program at any time.
SCREENING & AWARDS
- Official Selections will be screened in New York City at a designated time between October 25th and October 28th in the year 2018.
- Should the Selection Committee select your film for screening at additional Food Film Festival events in any other city over the course of the festival season, there will be no additional fees for those screenings
- Additional Food Film Festival events may take place throughout the year, however, the films screened at those events will not be in competition for 2018 Slotted Spoon Awards.
- The Food Film Festival™ is a competitive film festival. Filmmakers compete in multiple categories for the coveted ‘Slotted Spoon Award’.
- Awards will be presented at The Food Film Festival event(s) in which winning films are being screened. There is no formal awards ceremony.
- Only one spoon per category will be presented. Duplicate spoons are available for purchase for additional directors/producers named on the entry form. Please note: no more than three principals (e.g. one director and two producers) may submit an entry.
- Awards are presented in the following categories:
(These categories are judged by a panel of esteemed professionals from the food and film industries)
- Best Feature Film (over 35 mins)
- Best Short Film (5-35 mins)
- Best Super-Short Film (under 5 mins)
- Best Food Porn Film (films that are strictly food porn will be judged separately, regardless of length)
- Additional awards include:
- Audience Choice (by audience vote, during the Festival, cumulative throughout)
- Bloomberg Made in NY Award (for a film created within the metro NYC area, which receives the highest judged score from categories above)
- The Food Filmmaker of the Year (presented to the filmmaker(s) who work the hardest to make their screening at the FFF a success)
- The Film Foodmaker of the Year (presented to the chef or restaurant who goes above & beyond to make any screening at the FFF a success)
Regular Submission: May 5, 2018 at 11:59pm EST
Last Minute Submission (higher fees apply): May 19, 2018 at 11:59pm EST
- $48 for feature films (over 35 minutes)
- $36 for shorts (5-35 minutes)
- $25 for super-shorts (under 5 minutes)
- $25 for food-porn films (under 10 minutes / see RULES section for details on what qualifies as “Food Porn”)
- $75 for feature films (over 35 minutes)
- $65 for shorts (5-35 minutes)
- $55 for super-shorts (under 5 minutes)
- $55 for food-porn films (under 10 minutes / see RULES section for details on what qualifies as “Food Porn”)
Entry fees are non-refundable.
Choose how you want to enter!
Either of the links below allow you to submit your film to the 2018 Food Film Festival in NYC! Please only choose one: