RULES OF ENTRY FOR THE 2016 FOOD FILM FESTIVAL
The submission period for the 2016 season has ended. Sign up to be notified when the 2017 season opens!
HOW TO ENTER
- Read the rules, submission, screening, deadlines and fees information detailed on this page very closely.
- If your film complies with the standards and regulations listed below, proceed to fill out a submission form via the link at the bottom of the page.
- Pay the submission fee appropriate to your submission (details listed below).
Once your form and fees have been submitted, your submission will be reviewed and you will be notified by the date listed below if your film has been selected.
RULES & RESTRICTIONS FOR ENTRY
- Films must be submitted as a password protected file on Vimeo.com. No exceptions.
- Films must be in English, or with English subtitles.
- Films must be complete, polished, final versions. (i.e. they are appropriately sound-mixed and color corrected, contain title cards, lower-thirds, and credits where appropriate)
- Each film submitted must be accompanied by a completed entry form and entry fee paid via PayPal.com. Further instruction on payment is provided after completing the application.
- There is no limit to the number of films you may submit.
- Submissions that have been rejected in previous years by the Festival Selection Committee are not eligible.
- There is no restriction on the date your film was completed (unless it is so out of date that the subject is irrelevant).
- All genres are eligible for submission (documentary, animation, narrative, instructional, food porn, series, etc…) EXCLUDING films which depict sexual pornography or extreme violence.
- The term ‘food porn’ should not be taken literally. The Festival Selection Committee is looking for films containing beauty shots of food set to music or other type of soundtrack for this category. Any entry that contains actual sexual pornography will not be accepted.
- The selection of films is made by the Festival Selection Committee. Only films about food and drink will be considered for the Festival. For example, a one-hour film with a 2-minute food scene should not be considered to be a “food film”.
- All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision prior to July 1, 2016.
- If your film is selected:
- You will be expected to help in sourcing the food, chefs, and stars of your film for the event of your screening. Bringing your film to life by offering guests a Taste of What They See on the Screen is our primary goal.
- You must be able to provide The Food Film Festival with the following:
- A high-res digital version of the film upon acceptance. All films will be screened in High Definition from a hard drive.
- (at least) 2 excellent still images from your film to be distributed to the press and for use on The Food Film Festival website. It probably goes without saying, but the best stills get the best exposure.
- A link to a trailer for your film on YouTube (if applicable). This allows us to feature your trailer on our YouTube channel and our website.
- Your film cannot exist publicly on the Internet in its entirety from until after The Food Film Festival ends (October 23rd, 2016). That said, the password protected Vimeo.com link you used to enter the film MUST remain active until after The Food Film Festival ends (October 23rd, 2016). This link will be used for reference throughout production.
- Your film title will be placed in the Official Food Film Festival Archive and we may contact you for permission to use it in future screenings.
- Clips or images from your film may be used for promotional purposes.
- Your film cannot be withdrawn from The Food Film Festival program for any reason.
SCREENING & AWARDS
- Official Selections will be screened in New York City at a designated time between October 20th and October 23rd in the year 2016.
- Should the Selection Committee select your film for screening at additional Food Film Festival events in any other city over the course of the festival season, there will be no additional fees and those screenings
- Additional Food Film Festival events may take place throughout the year, however, the films screened at those events will not be in competition for Slotted Spoon Awards specific to those cities.
- The Food Film Festival is a competitive film festival. Filmmakers compete in multiple categories for the coveted ‘Slotted Spoon Award’.
- Awards will be presented at The Food Film Festival event(s) in which winning films are being screened.
- Only one spoon per category will be presented. Duplicate spoons are available for purchase for additional directors/producers named on the entry form. Please note: no more than three principals (e.g. one director and two producers) may submit an entry.
- Awards are presented in the following categories:
- Best Feature Film
- Best Short Film
- Best Super-Short Film
- Best Food Porn Film
- Additional awards include:
- Audience Choice
- Food Filmmaker of the Year
Regular Submission: May 1, 2016 @ 11:59pm EST
Late Submission (two-week grace period): May 15, 2016 @ 11:59pm EST
- $45 for feature films (over 35 minutes)
- $35 for shorts (5-35 minutes)
- $25 for super-shorts (under 5 minutes)
- $75 for feature films (over 35 minutes)
- $65 for shorts (5-35 minutes)
- $55 for super-shorts (under 5 minutes)
Anyone that can prove current student status is entitled to a $10 discount in any category. To qualify, email a scanned copy of your current, valid, student ID to Submissions@TheFoodFilmFest.com.
Entry fees are non-refundable.
Trailers from Recent Selections
Nothing with Something:
Death of a Diner
Central Texas Barbecue
Guacamole: A Gambling Recipe