RULES OF ENTRY FOR THE 2017 FOOD FILM FESTIVAL
***CALLING ALL FOOD FILMMAKERS***
You have roughly 4 months to submit your food filmmaking masterpiece to the 11th Annual Food Film Festival™. Tell your friends, and tell yourself to clear your schedule...you have a film to make!
And HEADS-UP, we’ve added a new category this year - The Phone Food Film! Make a food film on your phone that is under 1-minute and be eligible for the Phone Food Film Award. The top three Phone Food Film entries will screen at the 2017 Food Film Fest in NYC but only one filmmaker will walk away with the coveted Slotted Spoon Award. Entry fee is a mere $10 per film. See rules below for more details.
The 2017 Food Film Fest will take place October 19th - 22nd
Regular Submission: May 5, 2017
Last Minute Submission (higher fees apply): May 19, 2017
THESE RULES OF ENTRY ARE FOR THE 2017 FOOD FILM FESTIVAL™
If you are a returning filmmaker, please take a moment to read as the rules have been altered and updated.
HOW TO ENTER
- Read the rules, submission, screening, deadlines and fees information detailed on this page very closely.
- If your film complies with the standards and regulations listed below, proceed to fill out a submission form via the link at the bottom of the page.
- Pay the submission fee appropriate to your submission (details listed below).
- Once your form and fees have been submitted, your submission will be reviewed and you will be notified by the date listed below if your film has been selected.
RULES & RESTRICTIONS FOR ENTRY
- Films must be submitted as a password protected file on Vimeo.com. No exceptions.
- Films must be in English, or with English subtitles.
- Films must be complete, polished, final versions. (i.e. they are appropriately sound-mixed and color corrected, contain title cards, lower-thirds, and credits where appropriate)
- Each film submitted must be accompanied by a completed entry form and entry fee paid via PayPal.com. Further instruction on payment is provided after completing the application.
- There is no limit to the number of films you may submit.
- Submissions that have been rejected in previous years by the Festival Selection Committee are not eligible.
- There is no restriction on the date your film was completed (unless it is so out of date that the subject is irrelevant).
- All genres are eligible for submission (documentary, animation, narrative, instructional, food porn, series, etc...) EXCLUDING films which depict sexual pornography or extreme violence.
- The term ‘food porn’ should not be taken literally. The Festival Selection Committee is looking for films containing beauty shots of food set to music or other type of soundtrack for this category. Any entry that contains actual sexual pornography will not be accepted (yes, we had to create this rule for obvious reasons - every year some clown…)
- NEW THIS YEAR - The Phone Food Film. If you plan on entering a film in this category PLEASE READ THESE RULES VERY CAREFULLY, they apply to the Phone Food Film category only:
- All of the above rules apply
- Cannot exceed 1 minute
- Must be shot on a cellphone
- Even though you are shooting on your phone, your entry must still be professionally edited (if applicable) and MUST contain some sort of title and short end credit sequence, all within 1 minute.
- The selection of films is made by the Festival Selection Committee. Only films about food will be considered for the Festival. For example, a one-hour film with a 2-minute food scene should not be considered to be a “food film”.
- All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision prior to July 15, 2017.
- If your film is selected:
- You will be expected to help in sourcing the food, chefs, and stars of your film for the event of your screening. Bringing your film to life by offering guests a Taste of What They See on the Screen is the primary goal of the Food Film Fest. This is not mandatory, but extraordinarily helpful.
- You must be able to provide The Food Film Festival with the following:
- a high-res digital version of the film upon acceptance. All films will be screened in High Definition from a hard drive.
- (at least) 2 excellent still images from your film to be distributed to the press and for use on The Food Film Festival website. It probably goes without saying, but the best stills get the best exposure.
- a link to a trailer for your film on YouTube (if applicable). This allows us to feature your trailer on our YouTube channel and our website. Not necessary for entries under 3 minutes.
- The password protected Vimeo.com link you used to enter the film MUST remain active until after The Food Film Festival ends (October 22nd, 2017). This link will be used for reference throughout production.
- Your film will be placed in the Official Food Film Festival Archive and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Your film cannot be withdrawn from The Food Film Festival program for any reason.
SCREENING & AWARDS
- Official Selections will be screened in New York City at a designated time between October 19th and October 22nd in the year 2017.
- Should the Selection Committee select your film for screening at additional Food Film Festival events in any other city over the course of the festival season, there will be no additional fees for those screenings
- Additional Food Film Festival events may take place throughout the year, however, the films screened at those events will not be in competition for 2017 Slotted Spoon Awards.
- The Food Film Festival™ is a competitive film festival. Filmmakers compete in multiple categories for the coveted ‘Slotted Spoon Award’.
- Awards will be presented at The Food Film Festival event(s) in which winning films are being screened.
- Only one spoon per category will be presented. Duplicate spoons are available for purchase for additional directors/producers named on the entry form. Please note: no more than three principals (e.g. one director and two producers) may submit an entry.
- Awards are presented in the following categories:
(These categories are judged by a panel of esteemed professionals from the food and film industries)
- Best Feature Film (over 35 mins)
- Best Short Film (5-35 mins)
- Best Super-Short Film (under 5 mins)
- Best Food Porn Film (films that are strictly food porn will be judged separately, regardless of length)
- Best Phone Food Film (under 1 min, shot on a cellphone)
- Additional awards include:
- Audience Choice (by audience vote, during the Festival, cumulative throughout)
- Bloomberg Made in NY Award (for a film created in metro NYC, which receives the highest judged score from categories above)
- Food Filmmaker of the Year (presented to the filmmaker(s) who work the hardest to make their screening at the FFF a success)
Regular Submission: May 5, 2017 @ 11:59pm EST
Late Submission (two-week grace period): May 19, 2017 @ 11:59pm EST
- $45 for feature films (over 35 minutes)
- $35 for shorts (5-35 minutes)
- $25 for super-shorts (under 5 minutes)
- $10 for Phone Food Films
- $75 for feature films (over 35 minutes)
- $65 for shorts (5-35 minutes)
- $55 for super-shorts (under 5 minutes)
- $15 for Phone Food Films
Anyone that can prove current student status is entitled to a $10 discount in any category. To qualify, email a scanned copy of your current school ID to Carlen@TheFoodFilmFest.com.
Entry fees are non-refundable.
Thank you for reading all of this. Reward yourself with a cookie. I just did.